If you’re getting ready to move, it’s important to hire a moving company that you can trust. We recommend that you get 2-3 moving quotes and compare the following five line items in order to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
- Weight: Beware of any moving company that offers to give you a quote over-the-phone. A reputable moving company will always conduct an in-home estimate in order to accurately quote the weight of your items. Compare the weight on each quote to ensure each company is estimating the same amount of items.
- Packing: If you’ve requested packing service or packing materials, make sure the quantity and box types are equal across quotes.
- Service: Ensure you know the level of service you will receive for each quote. For instance, be sure to ask each moving company how they plan on moving appliances, TVs and fragile items. Ask how they plan on protecting your home during the move, be sure to research their reputation online and ensure they’re ProMover certified.
- Insurance: Know what kind of coverage or protection is included in each quote. Request coverage on a $0 deductible basis and review the cost across all companies.
- Online Movers: Even though getting a quote online is free and easy, choose a well-known van line that will provide you with an in-home estimate, plus the reassurance of experience and quality.
Most people just look at the bottom-line when hiring a moving company – but choosing the lowest price can sometimes leave you with unexpected up-charges or headaches on moving day. As a basic rule, when you are buying a service – you typically get what you pay for. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
By: Tim Mento, Professional Relocation Consultant, AirVan NorthAmerican
Call us and Get a Free, No Obligation Quote from me for your next move! – (800) 524-5533
Vice President, Corporate Development
agent for NorthAmerican Van Lines
Tel: (800) 524-5533